Thursday, 2 March 2017

This last week


These last few days I’ve been hiding away from the world. My mood has been low but I’ve been forcing myself to work and volunteering to give myself some form of routine.

Now I’m not sure if it’s the change in what I’m eating or my hormones just deciding to throw a strop but my mental health is deciding to have  a bitch fit around that “time of the month/lady time/star week” (call it what you will.

I’m already on vitamins B and D and evening primrose oil as well as my prescribed medication from my doctor so now it’s time to investigate foods and see what I can eat that will help me in the future.

I never thought about these things before but could what I have been eating be affecting my health rather than helping my health?

There are so many conflicting articles of what is good and bad so it really is about researching

I had a link sent to me www.phcuk.org/healthy-eating-guidelines-weight-loss-advice-for-the-uk/ and it’s an absolute brilliant read (click on the pdf download). It’s a 40 page document which talks about nutrition and recommendations by all sorts of dieticians, doctors, psychologists, nutritionists. It discusses the advice and recommendation from the NHS and the Nation Institute for health and Care Excellence (NICE). Grab yourself a cuppa and take the time to read it.

 

Just a little snippet of what it recommends:

Eat real food, until you're satisfied. These are foods that are naturally nutrient

dense and are minimally altered from their natural state, which will nourish you

and satisfy hunger.

2. Avoid fake foods, as much as you can. These are foods that have been highly processed

from their natural state with free sugars, highly-processed oils and

fortified nutrients, which do not nourish you and will not satisfy hunger.

3. Be active everyday, with an activity you enjoy. Whether it be a brisk walk up the

stairs or a vigorous workout in an exercise class, it'll help improve cardiovascular

health, mood and sleep.

Here are some common examples of real foods:

1. Fats & Proteins. Eggs, sardines, mackerel, salmon, beef, chicken (with skin), lamb,

pork, liver, kidney, heart, avocados, olives, full-fat cheese, full-fat yoghurt, cream,

almonds, macadamia nuts, brazil nuts, walnuts.

2. Carbohydrates. Broccoli, spinach, green beans, bell peppers, tomatoes,

mushrooms, cauliflower, courgettes, onions, carrots, butternut squash, blueberries,

strawberries, apples, oranges, lemons, parsnips, beans, legumes, potatoes,

fermented breads.

3. Drinks. Water, tea, herbal tea, fruit tea, coffee, full-fat milk, full-fat cream.

4. Oils. Beef tallow, butter, coconut oil, ghee, goose fat, lard and cold-pressed olive

oil.

Here are some common examples of fake foods:

1. Fats & Proteins. Low-fat cheeses, low-fat yoghurt, low-fat spreads, beans in sauce,

flavoured nuts, canned whipped cream.

2. Carbohydrates. Sugary cereals, refined breads, refined pastas, crisps, biscuits,

cakes, dried fruit.

3. Drinks. Sugary soft drinks, fruit juices, low-fat milk, sugary milkshakes, prepackaged

smoothies.

4. Oils. Sunflower oil, corn oil, vegetable oil, soya oil and rapeseed oil.

 

Ultimately it’s your decision with what you do. I’m not saying believe me and everything I tell you , all I’m doing is telling you the research I’m finding and for you to make your own informed decisions.. I won’t think less of you whatever you decide to do. We are all different.

I’ve spent the past two weeks constantly justifying my choices. Apparently im a hypocrite, I’ve changed my mind overnight, I’m wrong, It stopped working for me because I wasn’t doing it. And every single time I have responded providing the option to re read what I am saying, that I am merely stating the negative impact it has had one me and that it should be just as acceptable to show both the good and bad sides no matter which you agree with.

A hypocrite would be me flying the flag and supporting something I don’t believe in any more. A hypocrite would be me pretending that I’ve had nothing but amazing positive life changing experiences and hiding the truth from people when I’ve always said I would be open and honest.

I know the healthy balance project is helping people, I’ve had so many messages and comments and its inspiring and motivating to know there are others who feel the same, yes they are also scared from stepping away from the safety net of what we have all come to love . but it’s exciting and so much fun to listen to and read  all this research that people are doing.

2 comments:

  1. Keep doing what you're doing and ignore the haters and those brainwashed by the dieting establishments! You inspire me so much and your mindset re: dieting and healthy eating has really helped me, and I do SW! I'm no longer scared of gaining weight and I've begun to look at the last leg of my weight loss journey in a more positive, achievable light. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iv followed you for quite a while and love that you stand up for what you believe in. Yes SW helped you lose your weight, now you no longer believe its what you need anymore and thats fine. I feel I am stuck in the middle somewhere, I need the structure of SW but for a long time I havent used sweetener, hifis, mullerlights etc. The sweeteners give me the worst headaches, the fact its low syn or the taste just isnt worth it to me. I love what your doing at the moment and have ditched some of the things you have surfaced to be full of rubbish. So thank you for opening my eyes. xx

    ReplyDelete